Gluten-free & Vegan Apple Crisp
Today I made myself a healthier alternative to apple pie. Happy fall to me! I made an apple crisp that is both gluten-free and vegan, by using ingredients such as flax meal, GF oats, and GF flour, as well as Earth Balance's buttery sticks. I topped mine with fresh berries because I ate it for breakfast, but this would go deliciously with some coconut ice cream, as a dessert. I was originally planning to make this in one baking dish but thought I would like it better in a thinner layer. I was mistaken, and would recommend cooking this all in one baking dish, at least an 11x7. Apples are a good source of vitamin C and fiber. This recipe was made with mostly tart apples, such as Honeycrisp and Granny Smith, but I also included some sweeter apples such as Gala and Fuji. Flax seeds are a very good source of Omega-3s and fiber and a good source of protein. Oats are also a great source of fiber. This meal may be a treat but you also get some good fats and fiber, too.
I recommend topping this with fresh berries and about a handful of walnuts! Enjoy:)
8 medium apples, peeled and chopped, a mixture of tart and sweet.
Dash of lemon juice
1/3c coconut sugar (feel free to use regular cane sugar)
1 tbsp cornstarch
1/2 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
2/3c of light brown sugar
1/2c GF flour blend
1c GF Old Fashioned oats
1/2c flax meal
1/4 tsp cinnamon
pinch of salt
2/3c dairy-free butter, melted (I used Earth Balance)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F and lightly grease the baking dish with cooking spray or the dairy-free butter.
2. In a large bowl, mix the apples with the lemon juice. Then mix apples with the coconut sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, and salt. Put in baking dish.
3. Rinse and dry the same bowl for the topping mixture. In the bowl, mix the brown sugar, flour blend, oats, flax meal, cinnamon, and salt. Add in the melted butter and mix with your hands until the mixture has some integrity and sticks together a bit. It should resemble wet sand.
4. Sprinkle and pat the topping onto the apple mixture and bake for about 45 min to an hour. The apples should be soft and the topping should be browned.
5. Let rest for about 10 minutes.